Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Why I hardly slept last night

Students at this music school have a weekly mandatory-attendance schoolwide masterclass. Last night, the students ran their own (non-mandatory) Midnight Masterclass. Unlike the normal masterclass, students did not dress formally or perform their most challenging repertoire. Many didn't even perform on their primary instruments. Instead, attire for most performers consisted of jeans & a T-shirt and repertory represented many genres including jazz, pop, country music, and musical theatre. The atmosphere was light-hearted and convivial.

The program included the standard "Piano Man" (sans harmonica) and students in the audience swayed while holding up cell phones and lighters. One kid improvised a waltz on the piano which referenced a certain vocal warmup we use in choir. Someone else (a tenor) wrote a song poking fun at voice majors and our silly habits (wearing scarves to "protect our instruments," drinking herbal tea, being on "vocal rest," etc.). Others also performed original material, accompanying themselves on a guitar or playing with their own band.

I didn't see any faculty members or other GAs there, and I probably wouldn't have gone either if my chamber group hadn't been invited to perform. I'm glad I did end up going; laughing and connecting with others significantly reduced the stress that everyone in this building has been battling as we count down the days until the break!

No comments: