After I washed my hands in the ladies' room just now, I walked over in front of the full-length mirror on the wall. As I admired my outfit, I was struck by inspiration. What an excellent place to practice my conducting for the class exam today!
I stood in front of the mirror and audiated the piece while I conducted. I could clearly see my whole body, and I was focusing on limiting extraneous movement. Everything I desired in the music needed to come from my face and upper body. I had 1-2 memory issues (as I had not thought to bring my music into the bathroom with me and we're not required to have the piece memorized), but overall I felt as though I was making progress!
Then another girl walked into the restroom. That was the end of my practice session, even though she completely understood when I sheepishly admitted I'd been practicing. :-)
*When I sang in a ladies' quartet several years ago, we used to end our rehearsals in the restroom. We'd sing our repertoire in there because the live acoustics enhanced our tone quality. We heard our mistakes more clearly, and the sound inspired us to add and fine-tune nuances in our repertoire.
Thursday, November 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment