During the first month of classes, I checked out three books of sheet music from GradSchool Library. My voice teacher had asked me to learn some pieces by certain composers, and I was delighted to find their music in the library.
I faithfully renewed them twice and remembered that they were due back sometime in November. Then I forgot about them.
Last week, I received a letter in the mail informing me that I had overdue items. Oh no! I had THREE books! What kind of fee might I have to pay? I was running low on cash (which meant I might have had to break the large bill my aunt gave me in September- that was my emergency money).
Slightly ashamed (because I've never had overdue books!), I walked into the library the very next day. I dutifully waited at the front desk while the librarian served another student, even though the book drop-off was located on the other side of the building. I didn't want to take any chances of it not being checked in at the earliest possible moment!
"I'm sorry," I said as I put the books on my counter when my turn had arrived. "I checked these out awhile ago and just got an overdue notice. How much do I owe?"
The young woman greeted me and scanned the books. She started to put them away. I asked her again,
"How much do I owe you?"
She looked at the computer and then looked back at me.
"Nothing," she said.
"Really? Even though they were late?" I asked incredulously.
"Yeah, this was the first time right? I think we have some sort of grace period. If it were to happen again, you'd probably get a small fine, but since this was your first time, you don't owe anything today."
"Wow," I replied, surprised. "You just made my day. You're my new best friend for the day!* Thanks! Have a good day!" I chirped as I walked out of the library with more confidence than when I had entered.
*"You're my new best friend for the day!" is an expression my mom says whenever someone has done her a favor or gone out of their way to be helpful/pleasant. For example, if a coworker calls to tell her that her place of employment is overstaffed and she doesn't need to come to work, she'll use that phrase. When the man from whom we get our spring flowers and Christmas tree gives her a discount on the price because she's a loyal customer, she'll use the expression. If she ends up paying less than what she's expected at the store (as in- an item is on sale and she wasn't aware of the lowered price), she'll say this to the store employee. My sister and I used to be slightly embarassed, as kids can be, when our mom would gush over things like that. While I've used it with friends and acquaintances rarely, not once have I said this to a complete stranger before! I suppose I'm starting to become like my mom. :-)
Wednesday, November 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment