When I read the post at RYS about Impostor Syndrome, I was surprised I identified with so much of what was written. Granted, I'm not a professor or anything ... but I do feel as though I'll someday be discovered as a fake.
I might look impressive on paper, and people respond well to my sweet demeanor ... but I can't help but feel that they'll see that I'm lazy. I haven't accomplished nearly enough. I'm not making progress as quickly as I ought to be. I procrastinate. The quality of my work isn't what it absolutely could be. They'll see that I sometimes let my irritation get the best of me. Sometimes, I seem to enjoy wallowing in grumpiness. They were deceived by my resume, and now they're stuck with me. They just haven't realized yet that I'm not nearly so qualified as paper says I am.
For the most part, I'm able to ignore these feelings of inadequacy. Compliments and sincere remarks regarding my work and me as a person help to neutralize the poisonous thoughts. I must be doing something right if people praise me. I enjoy what I do, which is great, but I need to be careful that I'm not living in such a way that I'm constantly seeking the approval of those around me.
The opinion of only One matters. I still occasionally struggle with intense emotions regarding my unworthiness of His treasure. Then I sigh, take a deep breath and a step back, remind myself that no one can be worthy, and thank God that He accepts me and loves me despite my myriad flaws.
Friday, November 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Can't email you it seems, but I wanted to thank you personally for the b-day wishes!
All the best,
Namaste
Post a Comment