Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

Regarding the last post- I went. I figured, "Why not?"

I've never felt the urge to re-experience high school, but honestly, I don't really remember it that well. I'd have to re-read my journals from that era to really remember all that I did. I love doing that ~ stepping into my mind at age 16 and recalling whatever it was that was so important to me at that age! Sometimes I'm amazed at the insight I had, and other times I can't help but smile at my teenage musings. I wouldn't be surprised if re-reading this blog in a few years causes me to reflect in the same way.

Anyway, I had fun last night. Many, many people showed up at the tiny, cramped bar. We didn't really talk about high school at all. It was fascinating to find out what people have been up to in the last 4+ years. Someone's working for NASA. Another is in real estate. One person had dropped out of college and is presently working as a plumber. Several others had opted to go to grad school directly after undergrad, as I had. One person already has a job offer abroad for when she completes her graduate work! (I'm slightly envious of that!)

I successfully avoided karoake even though many people remembered me for my singing and told me I had to sing. Whenever a person made this remark, I'd held up my drink for the individual, smiled playfully, and said, "Not tonight."

I know it comes with the territory of being a vocalist, but I really don't like when I'm asked to sing spontaneously. So I usually refuse. While I have many excuses on hand for situations like that (such as, "Sorry, I've gotta warm up my voice before I sing" or "I'm not hydrated enough" or "Pop music isn't in my repertoire"), my additional excuse was that last night, loud music forcing me to talk loudly + not enough sleep the previous night was causing me to lose my voice.)

Some of the guys have become more attractive since high school. Admiring glances and unexpected hugs (not creepy hugs, but normal hugs) led me to believe that they'd noticed how cute I looked too. It reminded me of when my first boyfriend (we began dating at the end of our first semester in college) asked me incredulously upon learning that I'd never been asked out before, "What was wrong with the guys at your high school?" :-) Maybe they're finally learning.

While I still have no desire to relive high school, I did enjoy re-meeting people I grew up with and getting to know them as the people they are now. I'm hoping that they'll also remember me as they met me last night: confident, bright, cute, successful, and no longer the shy mouse they thought I was back in high school!

No comments: