My eyes got itchy, my nose became stuffy, and my throat felt dry. One of my roommates was burning incense again. Ugh.
The odor was even stronger as I stepped outside my door and found her in our tiny common area adjacent to my bedroom.
"Hey, are you burning incense?" I asked sweetly, slightly exaggerating my stuffy nose through my speaking voice.
"Oh, um, yeah," she said, getting up and closing the door to her room at the other end of our hallway.
"Sorry about that," she said distractedly as she plopped back down in front of the TV. "I don't know why my door was open."
"That's OK," I said, smiling. "Thanks for closing it." I turned to go back to my room.
"You know, it was in front of the window, so that the smell wouldn't go out into the hallway," she continued.
"Oh," I responded, conversationally, giving her my attention again. "actually, that's not super effective. When I was an RA and people were smoking pot-"
"I don't smoke," she interjected, almost defensively.
"I know," I continued, reassuringly, "I was just going to say that one of the telltale signs was that people would leave their windows open, thinking that the air from outside would carry away the smoke, but in reality, the air pushes the smell into the hallway. So, having a window open pushes the incense scent into the hallway."
"Anyway," I concluded kindly, "thanks for closing the door. I appreciate it."
"Oh, well, the window wasn't open. I don't know how to open it."
"Oh, me neither." I said agreeably, again about to wish her a good night.
"And, you know, I feel safer that way because we're on the ground floor and all. Not opening the window, I mean, there's no need for it, right?" She persisted.
"Oh, right. Good point. Well, thanks again. 'Night." I responded as I again turned to go back into my bedroom, somewhat baffled by the whole exchange.
"Night!" she murmured as she settled deeper into the couch to watch TV.
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I despise incense. I was visiting a friend and asked her to not use it while I was there, which was probably rude but it seriously hurts my head and eyes and throat. So I think you were quite sweet to your roommate. I would have said no or done something passive aggressive to annoy her. So yay for you!
Post a Comment