Last semester, like many musicians, I accepted a side job at a church. I've been involved in music ministry since I was 14, and I've had a paying church job for part of every year since I was 15. This position required me to serve in a different capacity, and I relished the opportunity to broaden my experience. (My salary was HALF of what I made at my job while at AlmaMater; the experience I have would command more than the little bit I was to earn from this church, but I considered that I was doing this out of the goodness of my heart.)
It was challenging at first, and I was surprised and uncomfortable with how the pastor and I didn't always see eye to eye. Last month, weather conditions prevented me from commuting to the church TWICE, and upon my reception of the position, it was understood that I would not be driving several hours from my home to the church over the Christmas break. I have not been there for over a month.
I enjoyed getting to know the other choristers, but overall, I was unhappy with my situation there. Spiritually, I felt unsatisfied. I didn't know whether I ought to quit; I didn't want to leave them in a hard place. I figured I'd give it some more time and try to change my attitude.
When I returned to my apartment yesterday, I saw that I had received a letter from the church. I quickly opened it, having no idea what the contents might be, and promptly let out a squeal of delight! The pastor wrote that the choir had struggled without my presence there over Advent, and he was concerned that my other obligations this semester (conferences and Spring Break) might hinder the music ministry. My tenure there was over, effective immediately.
Thank God! The pastor went on to say that this was no reflection on me, and then he extolled my personality traits and God-given gifts that he and the choir had appreciated, etc, etc, etc. He also offered to write me a letter of recommendation. I wrote him back a very sweet note wishing them well, and I'll send my key back. I couldn't have asked for this to resolve in a better way.
When I told my parents and another friend about this, I joked, "I don't think anyone else has ever been so happy to be let go." :-)
Monday, January 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment