Recently a student came to me about a confidential personal matter because she wanted my advice. Despite having been an RA for two years, I was surprised by the magnitude of the situation she described to me. I couldn't ask Mentor about it because the student in question desired my thoughts regarding how and when to approach Mentor about the situation. I calmly reassured her and conveyed to her through words and hugs that I care about her. After learning more through questions, I suggested a few options for her to consider. My mind is still reeling from our exchange.
As I drove home this evening, I prayed for the student, and I thanked God for helping me find words to share with this young woman after she trusted me enough to confide in me. I also prayed for guidance and wisdom so that He'll speak through me if/when I am asked to serve in this manner again.
~*~*~*~
Just before I chose "teacher" as my career path, I had wanted to become a school guidance counselor. I changed my mind after shyly admitting this to my own guidance counselor during one of those career planning sessions. She wasn't exactly nurturing when I'd expected her to respond warmly, and my interest waned. I'd wanted to become a counselor because I cared about people, and if she couldn't be bothered to care about me, well, to my 13 year old mind, it was no longer a profession worth pursuing.
Now I realize that as "teacher," and even as a GA (a teacher-on-training-wheels), my job will entail more of the counseling aspect than I had previously expected. I'm OK with this- I have to be- because it's an unwritten part of the job description. I hope that when I'm out in the field on my own, in a position with more authority, that I'll still be seen as approachable and that I'll be in a position to aid the students who approach me.
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment