Installment #3 of the Estrella Needs to Find a Job series.
I got the call while on the other side of the country last week. The vacancy, described as an X/Y position, had interested me enough so that I'd submitted an application two weeks earlier. It was in a more rural location, but it was less than 40 miles from a major city- a definite mark in its favor. I agreed to drive up for the interview yesterday, and I was very excited! [Aside: I now find myself measuring distance in terms of what it would cost me for gas, so ... this was about $55 round trip, not including the nasty collection of various tolls which ended up being about $20.]
I budgeted extra time for unexpected delays, and while there was one half-hour setback, I arrived with an extra half hour. I used the time to drive around the area (pretty and simple). I stopped in at the gas station to get a snack, and the locals were quite friendly. I began to imagine myself living there, and I was pleased at the thought.
At the school, the secretaries were very kind and helpful; they knew I'd driven a distance and they offered to get me coffee or water upon my arrival. The principal came out to retrieve me and informed me that I'd be interviewing with him and two of the current music teachers on staff in his cozy (and slightly cramped) office. We chatted pleasantly, and I felt quite at ease. I'd enjoy having these people for colleagues, I thought to myself.
Then.
In one of the early questions, the principal posed this question: If I were to walk into your classroom, what would I see? What kind of teacher are you?
I asked, "In an X class?" (for this X/Y position)
He responded, "Well, I was thinking a Y class, but if you're more comfortable, then yes- X is fine."
I was more comfortable with X ~ it was what I had studied for my graduate degree, and I've spent years gaining practical experience in X field from many different angles. So I proceeded to answer the question in regards to X.
For further questions, the other staff members and the principal asked questions regarding and in terms of Y. Very specifically. Until they told me directly: The position was all Y during the day, but the candidate would have the opportunity to "assist" with X for 4 days a week after school. One of the staff members interviewing me was actually in charge of X classes.
I remained pleasant and perky after this revelation, and I believe I had a very good interview. I think my interviewers were very impressed by my portfolio. I really enjoyed talking with them; the interview felt more like a comfortable dialogue than an intimidating interrogation.
Afterwards, as soon as I got in the car and called my parents, I began to cry. I'd so been looking forward to this interview and I liked everything about it ~ location, people, community, colleagues, administration, etc~ everything, except for the job itself! Even if I were offered it, I don't want to accept because I really want an X position. I haven't spent YEARS and thousands of dollars preparing for an X position, only to end up with a Y position which hardly makes use of the skills for which I've spent so much time, energy, and money developing.
Mentor believes I ought to "hang in there for an X job," and I am. I submitted 2 more applications today, and I have a lead on another which I plan to investigate tomorrow. I don't know what God's will is, but I figure that in order to be open to it, I should apply for everything which looks as though it might be a good fit. I will "flood the market" as my mother has advised. God can do the other part~ preparing me for the right job and making it obvious to both my future employers and me that I am the best candidate for whatever job He intends for me to have.
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment