Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Optimistic

About a week after I blogged about DreamJob, the deadline for applications was extended. I was disheartened; my application wasn't good enough to end the search! Then I realized that I was being ridiculous and my hope returned.

Since then, I've learned that the job may not be my Ideal Ideal; I'd have to teach classes A, B, C, and D in addition to three sections of X, my specialty. I actually really like D (with some experience), I have had some training pertaining to C, but not much interest or experience in A or B.

Regardless, it's still the best combination of location/work that I've really encountered. (Others may be great in location- near a city- but not the type of position I'd want, like Third Time, which was not offered and therefore did not need to be rejected.)

I'd contacted the person who's leaving the position because we had participated in a community organization together, and she was able to give me some insight into what the position entails. Then time passed. I didn't hear anything. My departure date (for two summer jobs, covering three weeks) was rapidly approaching. And, like I said, the deadline for applications had been extended. I was starting to feel stressed.

So, last week, I mustered up all of my courage and confidence and called the person in charge. My voice mail (because the phone was not answered) went something like,

"Hi. This is Estrella LastName at [phone number], and I had submitted an application about two weeks ago for the open position in your district. I am still interested in the position, but I wanted to let you know that I will be leaving on [date] for two professional obligations [with additional information on the gigs, as a way to highlight but not brag about my skills]. I will have my phone with me for the first segment of [job], but not after [certain date]. My internet and email access will be sporadic at best during those three weeks. Again, my phone number is [...]. Please call me if you have any questions."

One day passed.

On the second day, I got a phone call from the person in charge, inviting me to interview at the end of this week. (!) The interview will be more extensive than my previous ones, requiring me to actually demonstrate my skills in different areas. I'm a little nervous because- What if they don't like me? I look darn good on my resume (which is 100% accurate, without any fluff), but they're going to see the real me. While I know it wouldn't be a rejection of me if I don't get the offer, it will be hard for me to remember that if the job goes to someone else.

No comments: