Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Second step toward the real world

My interview went just fine. Sure, I had a moment where I stumbled over the answer (I'd forgotten to prepare for that particular question, even though I figured it would be asked), but overall, the interview was a simple dialogue.

I couldn't tell what the principal thought of me, but the district arts coordinator (DAC) was very encouraging. It's not my ideal job; I would much rather work with older students, and I'd really prefer the opportunity to spend more than 90 minutes a week doing what my Master's trained me to do. When I spoke with the DAC at a conference a few months ago, I had admitted that to her. She even acknowledged this when she called about the interview, and she kept telling me it would be a good way to get my foot in the door and that she looks internally first when positions are available. That is good to know, but I don't believe that she is expecting openings at the level I'd prefer for 2009-10. Eh.

In related news, I put in an email to another local colleague (well-respected teacher) who has commented before that he'd love to see me teaching in this area. He wrote back, saying he was more than willing to call some local administrators (which was an unexpected and kind offer on his part).

At first I thought, "Should I really have someone call on my behalf? Does that make me look desperate, like my qualifications won't stand up enough on their own?" They should.

Then I got over my ego and wrote back that I appreciated his offer, and yes, that would be lovely if he would make those calls. So ... we'll see what happens.

Aside to God: Thanks for being with me today! What ARE Your plans for me? Please let me know!

No comments: