Friday, December 14, 2007

Thoughts on time

When catching up on emails last night, I listened to the Christmas music on my iTunes. When I checked out the "Last Played" feature while listening to certain songs, I was surprised to see that I hadn't heard some of the songs for 2 years. Where was I two years ago when I last listened to that carol? Probably in my dorm room as a first year RA, wearing my duty shirt and listening to carols while waiting to get a duty call requiring me to respond to a loud party or a lockout. What about that other Christmas tune that I hadn't heard since last year? What was going on in my life? I was student-teaching ... and perhaps I'd turned on the Christmas music as I wrote lesson plans or as I tried on my pretty outfit for my conducting debut.

Last year feels like a different life. My undergrad years seem like a distant memory even though that chapter of my life ended in May. Heck, even this summer seems so long ago. Five months ago today, I was celebrating my birthday in Vienna, one day before I checked into my 3-week seminar in Hungary. In seven months, I'll be on choir tour and I'll again be celebrating my birthday in Austria. If everything works out as it's supposed to, I'll also have graduated by that time.

Where will I be a year from now? How will my life have changed by then? December 14, 2008- what will you bring?

No comments: