Saturday, December 22, 2007

A Christmas tradition

The Christmas tree is now decorated with our mismatched but meaningful ornaments. It has been a family tradition for each of us to receive a new ornament every year. When I was younger, my ornaments were usually animals or fairies; more recently, the ornaments have all reflected my interest in music. Eighth notes, a singer, a treble clef with a bell at the bottom ...

One of my favorite things to do at Christmastime is to snuggle up on the armchair in the corner of the room behind the Christmas tree. When I'm there, I am obscured from view and am somehow magically transported from the hustle and bustle of the household into my own serene cocoon. It's my ideal place for reading ... and I remember writing the opening lyrics to one of my songs while cozily sitting there. The sacred ambience is enhanced in the evening when the room is lit only the gentle glow of the Christmas tree and the moonlight from the window. *sigh* It's lovely.

No comments: