Saturday, December 15, 2007

A boy story

So ... There was a cute guy in the community ensemble of which I was a member ... but he never seemed to notice me.

Well, one of my worst nightmares happened this evening- I FORGOT my music for a PROFESSIONAL gig. There was no way I could return home and retrieve it in time. Somehow my freaking out over this caught the guy's attention. He even helped me staple the photocopies that another kind member made for me at the last minute.

After the concert we chatted a little, and he even chose to sit with one of the college kids and me at the after-party. A few times when I glanced over at Mentor, she winked at me. At one point, I went over to briefly ask her a question (alas, cute boy went to go sit with his other friends shortly after I got up!) and she said to me, "You know, CuteBoy is kinda cute."

I laughed- she hadn't made such a bold comment to me before.

"I noticed," I responded, smiling. "and he's only 25," (I had thought he was older than that) "which puts him in the appropriate age range..."

She leaned in conspiratorily. "I think you should go for it," she whispered. I just smiled and nodded.

Cute boy never left his friends, and the other college kid ended up joining our table for a discussion. Kid also mentioned (without any questioning or prompting) that he thought Cute Boy was interested in me too ...

When Cute Boy was getting ready to go, he came over to thank Mentor and he said goodbye and shook hands with both Kid and me. I'd written out my number but was too shy to just hand it to him. Last time I did that, with CGFC last Spring, did not work out. He did call, but then forgot to call back when he said he would and never returned my message when he didn't call back. Anyway ....

Both Mentor and Kid said, "Aww, Estrella, you missed your chance!" But I had another idea.

Email. Much less intrusive. He can choose to respond or not. I wouldn't be seeing him again otherwise. And I had no other contact information for him. So .... I did send him a little email telling him I was gonna be in town tomorrow (to see my favorite celebrity in concert) and that I was planning on being there a few hours early anyway. If he wanted to hang out, he could give me a call at [my number]. I don't think he's the type to compulsively check his email (like I am) so he may not even get it in time ... but at least the ball's in his court and I made an effort ... and it should be obvious that I expressed some interest.

I'm hoping I won't get another one of those "I thought you were crushing on me" speeches like last month. Stupid whatever-his-blog-alter-ego-was boy. :-)

Aack! The time! Must sleep!

No comments: