Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Waiting for pressure

Last week, OverachieverGA (I give him this nickname lovingly because we really are friends) comes bounding into our class.

OGA (teasing): Guess what Estrella?
Me (mockingly bright): What, OGA?
OGA: Nine pages.
Me: What are you talking about?
OGA (waves paper in my face): The project that's due next week for this class, that's what I'm talking about.
Me: I see.
(pause)
Me: Well, I think PartnersInCrime and I will probably be having a party the night before it's due. We don't have time this week or this weekend because of all our concerts.
OGA: (laughs)
Me: You're invited if you want ... even if you've already finished!


A few days later, Professor of class for which project was assigned approaches Blue and me.
Prof: Have you guys finished your project yet?
(We looked sheepishly at one another.)
Me: No, not yet.
Prof (possibly teasing but not totally readable): Have you started?
(Another sheepish glance is shared.)
Blue: Not quite.


Yesterday in the hallway, Prof approaches me.
Prof: Estrella, have you completed the project?
Me: No, I'm still working on it.
Prof (not teasing but unreadable): Please don't pull an all-nighter.
Me: (silently cursing OGA for spilling the beans about the party PartnersInCrime and I had planned)


Well, I did hang out at PIC's apartment to work on the project (because I can't concentrate on my own!) for a few hours last night. I did manage to finish the assignment AND got several hours of sleep. Unfortunately, one of my eyes keeps tearing up, so I probably appear as though I didn't sleep. That's what I get for wearing too much concealer in an attempt to cover the darkness under my eyes from not getting enough sleep since Thanksgiving! Time to print out the assignment and get more caffeine!


Updated after class:
Prof: So did anyone pull an all-nighter last night to get this project done?
All students: Nope!
Prof: ... cuz that's what I would have done. (smiles)
Me: Oh, so that's why you told me not to do that!

No comments: