Friday, December 07, 2007

The romanticism of a romantic composer

The other evening, I dined out with friends and some faculty members. At one point during the meal, the composer Schumann was mentioned. The musicology professor (who has a great sense of humor) then shared an intriguing tidbit.

"You know," he said, eyes twinkling, "that whenever Schumann and his wife made love, Schumann recorded it with a sixteenth note in his diary."

PartnersInCrime and I exchanged amused glances while the professor continued.

"They say that he chose a sixteenth note because it resembles the letter 'F' and ... well, you know what that stands for."

PsIC and I tried to keep from giggling as we again furtively stole glances at one another.

The professor concluded in a mockingly serious tone, "So many people think that being a musicologist is a boring job. They really have no idea what we actually study."

No comments: