It's not melanoma. That had been my greatest fear. Still, the tissue was atypical, and they need to remove more. The still-minor-but-more-intense surgery will require a longer recovery time. I'll be on bedrest longer than 2 days this time.
Thankfully, the dermatologist said the tissue removal could take place anytime between now and six months from now. This means that I can finish the next 4 months of the semester without interruption. I'd like to wait until after BestFriend's wedding (in 5 months) to take care of it- so I don't have to worry about having an ugly bandage (visible in the open-toed heels she wants the bridal party to wear) as I stand next to her as her Maid of Honor ... but my mom wants me to have it done right after I graduate (meaning no substitute teaching, my only chance for a summer job and more classroom experience before I get a real teaching job in the Fall).
I'm praising God that I'm OK, even if I have to deal with the slight nuisance of having another minor surgery. I had mildly freaked out when I looked up melanoma online and saw that many of my symptoms matched. My mother, who serves in the medical field, was even more concerned.
I had told her last week about a sweet dream I'd had in which I'd seen my grandmother (the one who passed away last August). It was a lovely dream, really. In it, I spent some time with my grandmother, cooking food and talking. In the dream, we had a long, thoughtful conversation. I really don't remember all that we talked about, but it was a soothing, familiar (not a topic we'd actually discussed before, but very "cozy," family-oriented, etc.) dialogue. Even though her health was not what it once was, she was much stronger in this dream than she had been the last time I saw her (end of July). Normally in dreams which contradict reality so strongly, my brain cuts in and reminds me that I'm just in a dream. This didn't happen. I awoke from the dream, feeling serene and peaceful ... thinking, I should really call Grandmama. Then reality returned, bringing with it disappointment ... but the serenity lingered.
I didn't realize that sharing this gift of a dream with my mom contributed to her worries. :-( Anyway, I'm grateful that the news wasn't worse ... and that everything looks like it will work out just fine. Praise the Lord!
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I'm very pleased you're OK, though I'm sorry you're facing more minor surgery. That's always at least a bit unpleasant.
I have dreams about my Grandma a lot at different times. She passed away when I was in high school, so when I'm particularly stressed or struggling, I find myself having conversations with her when I sleep. I'm sorry your dream made your mom worry, but I see it more as a way to connect with that part of my heart again. Though it always leaves me sad, I like when it happens.
It sounds as if you're enjoying the new semester too. Yay for you!
Post a Comment