Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Day 2

So far, I've had a taste of all of my classes, save one. I have homework assignments (already!), books to purchase, repertoire to learn and practice ...

It feels strange to be back in the classroom as a student. After being on "the other side" of the classroom (even though it was only for a semester!), I find that my perspective has changed somewhat. I've changed. At times, I've been more assertive. At the same time, I feel as though I have backtracked by returning to the classroom as a regular college student. I don't quite feel like I belong here anymore. I've already had a taste of the real world, and I feel slightly impatient that I can't just get out there and start teaching now!

At the same time, because I feel out-of-place, I catch myself practicing old habits ... The new assertiveness and self-assurance sometimes reverts back to the shy, I'm-not-going-to-make-eye-contact-with-you-so-you-won't-call-on-me self which I had tried to repress!

Classes look promising so far ... although I did slightly resent when the professor said, "I'm not going to treat you like high school children" just before she gave us assigned seats. (She seems very pleasant and I sense that she's passionate about her subject area, so I'm going to ignore my feelings about the assigned seating and groups.)

Lessons on both my primary and secondary instrument also seem exciting. I'm thrilled that I don't have to take a jury this semester. I get to learn music for the sake of learning it! I get to grow and improve on both instruments without the pressure of a performance at the end of the semester.

One more new class tomorrow night!

Off to go watch House with my residents, write a recommendation letter for one of my girls who wants to be an RA, and complete the reading & assignment for my elective language course!

No comments: