The melancholy mood which inspired the last entry has worn off, and I find myself looking forward to the new semester. I'm excited to take electives for the first time in 4 years!
I'm currently in my second day of mandatory holiday break duty. Yesterday was uneventful, but I've had 14 duty calls today. Several of the building's 1200+ residents have decided to "bring back some stuff" early before they're officially allowed to move in tomorrow. Many of them have forgotten to bring their student IDs and keys but assume that it shouldn't be a problem since "no one else is back yet." They don't know that I've had to help out 13 other students who thought the same thing. I just smile and reassure them that it's no problem ... before I ask them to fork over the $2 they owe Residence Life for the service. (The money goes to support a little boy who lives in Africa, sponsored by our staff.)
Perhaps I should be cleaning my room ... I never vacuumed it last semester ... and I still haven't put up the posters I brought with me back in August. I haven't unpacked the things I brought back with me after Christmas. I have posters lying around which I'm supposed to hang up around my floor. I look around my "office" part of my RA suite ... and I'm surrounded by bags and papers. Behind me are the pillows from my grandmother's apartment. On the wall in front of me, there's a floor program sign, a cloth dishtowel featuring an illustrated map of Ireland, and a silvery, glowing painting of Cinderella walking from her carriage to the castle. Next to me on the couch are napkins, an empty chocolate milk bottle, a MySchool sweatshirt, and a few bags I brought back from home. In spite of the clutter around me, I am content. :-)
Saturday, January 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You sound content, which is absolutely lovely. If I wasn't so pleased for you - being so happy and focused in your space - I might be a bit jealous. I hope things continue to go very well.
Post a Comment