Monday, January 22, 2007

Good News and Bad News

The good news is that I still get to go to Italy over Spring Break to visit my younger sister. Other good news is that there is less chance of a problem with me wearing open-toed heels in BestFriend's wedding.

Bad news is that my surgery can't wait as long as we had originally been told.

When my mom heard from the doctor regarding the biopsy on the removed mole, she was told that the surgery to remove more tissue from the area could be done anytime in the next six months. This was fantastic- my semester wouldn't have to be interrupted and I would have time to get it done after graduation and to let it heal before BestFriend's wedding. My mom confirmed this information twice before telling me the news.

My mom called last week to schedule my appointment for the week following graduation. She was told at that time, "We actually recommend that she have the surgery sooner."

Mom responded that this was different from what she'd heard before, and she asked to speak with the doctor. The doctor apologized for the lack of clarity and stated that it really was better for me to wait less time before having it done. (Even though it was not identified as melanoma, it had not been identified, so she recommended getting it done sooner.)

Having to recover from this during the semester won't be too much fun, but the campus isn't too large and I do believe my professors will be understanding. However, I'm upset that I can't be home while I have to deal with this. I have to take care of everything myself: scheduling my appointment for the surgery (and the pre-appointment too), begging a ride from a friend to and from the appointment (since I won't be able to use that foot to drive), requesting special accommodations for classes/work/etc (if necessary), and changing my life around for the few weeks it will take to recover. I'd much rather be home while I recuperate, but that's just not possible. *sigh* I suppose this is yet another small taste of what it will be like to live in the real world, away from home and away from my family support system. Even the few friends I told didn't offer any kind of support or encouragement when I mentioned it to them.

Oh well ... at least I'll still get to experience Italy.

1 comment:

post-doc said...

I went to college about 20 minutes away from my parents' house, so I can only sympathize greatly with being far away and having obligations that prevent going home.

I did, however, dislocate my knee when I was doing summer research away from home. Dealing with appointments when I couldn't drive, making my painful way around campus. I'm sorry - I hope your friends find ways to help and that your recovery is very fast.

But yay for Italy! :)