Monday, February 26, 2007

Thoughts on Time

My microwave clock does not keep normal time. In fact, it's pretty much my ideal clock because it slows down time. I'm actually a little jealous. I always seem to be wishing that I could squeeze more into my day and that time should go slower because there's always too much to be done in not enough time!

Well, because the time was already very inaccurate when Daylight Savings time occurred last autumn, I decided it wasn't worth resetting the time. Within the last week or two, I discovered something very exciting had occurred! My microwave was telling accurate time because it had finally slowed down enough to make up for the extra hour we gained during Daylight Savings time.

Today, sadly, I discovered it is now 6 minutes slow. I don't think I'll reset it until Daylight Savings time occurs again (in April?) ...

~*~*~*~

Another musician once told me that time passes for us differently than it does for normal people. Our concept of time is based from one big event to the next ... It's difficult to focus on the present moment when you're always looking ahead to and preparing for the next performance.

I've found this to be true for other areas of my life. For example, right now, I'm stuck in another week of classes. My mind is already focused much more on Italy than my classes. In fact, this entire semester, I've had trouble focusing and staying motivated. Why? Graduation! Each day, I get closer to being out in the Real World and having a real job and real grown-up responsibilities. My mind is working diligently, trying to prepare me for that and it doesn't have much excess energy to focus on the core classes my university requires me to take before graduating.

~*~*~*~

Time causes me stress. For example, I have an hour and a half before I have my one elective class immediately followed by a music course. I have to complete a take-home test for the elective and I've got to write a piece for orchestra (!) for the other class. In less than 90 minutes.

I guess, to be honest, it's not the time causing my stress ... it's the choices I made of how to spend my time in the past week when I was choosing NOT to do this homework then ... *sigh* Better get to work!

1 comment:

The Contessa said...

I agree - time passes for us musicians differently than others. Mine are marked by my next lesson, my next gig and my personal prep for it and how much I need. All the rest of life's details get to fit in around that.

Italy sounds super and you are so very lucky!