Thursday, February 01, 2007

A late night in the music school

Tonight, I was in the music school's computer lab working on a class project. When I removed my headphones, I heard bizarre ritualistic chanting, "Ta ... Ki ... Da ... Ta-Di Ta-Di!" The voices, both male and female, were in unison. After I'd saved my work, I went out to the lounge to investigate the source of the chanting.

Aha! The poor sophomores were practicing their rhythms for their musicianship skills hearing. I had conveniently (and blissfully) forgotten all about the musicianship department's "TaKaDiMi" counting system since the Gordon "Du-ta-de-ta" syllables had taken over our music ed methods courses.

When I walked into the lounge, I burst out laughing at the sight of them- 6 of them reading aloud the rhythms and conducting the meter, while a metronome indignantly kept time. Surprisingly, my laughter did not disrupt their concentration in the slightest. When they had finished the exercise, I laughingly greeted them.

One of the guys said, "Hey Estrella, I want to talk with you for a moment," as he took my arm and led me down the hallway. Two weeks ago, he and I had spent a few hours hanging out in the music school because he was hoping to encounter and talk with a certain girl he likes. He hadn't gotten to talk with her that day and he lamented over that the entire time we were together. Today, he was more successful. They had a coffee date and they now have plans to go out this weekend. I congratulated him.

(I also told him how I'd finally spoken with the Cute Guy From Church on Sunday- the one studying to be a pastor! It was a simple conversation, but I was on Cloud 9 for the rest of the day! My only mistake was that I had to leave with the other choristers for lunch and I didn't think to invite him. *hits head* Maybe next time? :-) Oh ... and he read the Scripture for the service ... with that smooth, expressive voice of his ... and because of his expression while reading, I was led to interpret the passage in a new way, different from when I'd read the same passage a few weeks ago on my own. I hope I get to talk with him again... )

After our secret-sharing session, this friend took me down to the computer lab because he wanted to play something for me. He turned on iTunes and began playing along with a Billy Joel album (on the piano keyboard at the same computer dock)-- he'd figured out and memorized the piano part by listening to the album over and over. He played me several songs ... and I found myself thinking, This is going to be something I will miss next year.

Then as I was getting ready to leave, I saw BestFriend at her locker. She gushed about her wedding veil and tiara (and rushed me again into the computer lab to show me what she had ordered), and we chatted about our plans for this weekend: We're going on an adventure on Friday morning (or should I say, LATE Thursday night) because this may be the last time we're up in this area for the right time of year. Let's just say it involves a four hour roundtrip drive to an undisclosed location for an absurd ritual. :-)

No comments: