This morning, I did what I've never done before.
I went to the gym.
This is a HUGE deal for me, the girl who got a "C" in first grade gym class because she couldn't skip. This is the girl who was terrified of every gym class after that because she didn't ride a bike without training wheels until she was 8 years old, who didn't even know how to jump rope until she was 9, and who failed the running portion of her high school gym final because she didn't have the endurance (or motivation) to run a mile. I've always been behind physically; I didn't even walk until I was 18 months. (Because I was the first and only child for that part of my life, I'm thinking the not-walking was more laziness than developmental delay.) Suffice it to say that God gifted me in music but not in athletic ability.
So ... when a female GA friend told me yesterday that she was planning to go to the gym this morning, I confided my fear to her. She insisted that I accompany her. So I decided, now that I had a friend who promised to show me how to use the equipment without laughing at me, that today would be the day. I even managed to spend 45 minutes on whatever the machine was (cross-trainer?). It told me I burned 391 calories. Sweet! I felt like I was walking on clouds when I'd finished, and I decided that maybe going to the gym isn't so bad after all. :)
Updated to add: Haha, today is Fat Tuesday. To me, this is an amusing coincidence. :)
Tuesday, February 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment