Finished the cookie dough (see the previous entry) for breakfast this morning. *guilty grin*
~*~*~*~
After church today, I spent the afternoon with an old friend from UGSchool. Actually, he was really a friend of BestFriend's. I barely knew him for the short time we went to school together (I never remembered his name when I saw him), and I learned more about him from BestFriend's stories than from him. It shocked me when BestFriend told me last Spring (after I hadn't seen the guy for nearly 2 years) that he'd apparently had a major crush on me when he attended UGSchool.
At BestFriend's wedding this summer, I mentioned to him that I'd be going to GradSchool and discovered that he didn't live too far away. We decided we'd try to get together sometime during my year here.
Today was that day, and a lovely day it was! Unfortunately, the wonderful warm spell has ended and most of the gorgeous leaves have already fluttered to the ground ... but our surroundings were beautiful!
We hiked together on a trail which followed a stream. Pretty rock formations, some magical waterfalls (we walked under two!), and excellent conversation (on a variety of topics- school, work, faith, music, family, etc.) made for several fun hours. We even sneaked off the path and hiked up to a bridge (with railroad tracks!) which provided us with the most magnificent view of the area. It was a fun adventure!
As we retraced our steps along the path from the railroad tracks to the car, my friend's cell phone rang.
"Guess who it is!" He exclaimed. BestFriend was calling! He asked if I wanted to answer it. I nodded, grinned slyly, and pressed the button to answer the call.
"Hello?" I answered pleasantly.
"Uh, hi," BestFriend said, unsure of why a girl would be answering our friend's phone. "May I please speak with friend?"
"What," I replied half-sarcastically and half-teasingly, "you don't want to talk to me?"
A long pause. BestFriend was obviously confused.
"Oh my gosh! Estrella!!!!" And we gushed over the phone for a few moments (it'd been a week and a half since we'd chatted) before I returned the phone to our friend. We'd just been talking about our different adventures with BestFriend moments earlier, so we decided she must have somehow known that she was missing out on good conversation with one of us!
It's funny how I learned more about my old-new friend today than ever before. We talked more today than we've ever talked in the past, and we had a great time! I'm hoping we'll be able to get together more often now while I'm here at GradSchool!
~*~*~*~
*Title refers to a song I learned as a Girl Scout:
Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other's gold.
Sunday, October 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment