Choir members are supposed to report to the music room half an hour before the service starts so that we can go over our anthem before the service. Yesterday, they were not present and ready to sing until 15 minutes prior to the service. This was the first Sunday for which I was to direct the anthem.
I wasn't too concerned as the material was not that difficult, but I was a little disappointed that we weren't going to have as much time to prepare as I'd expected. I hid this, smiled brightly at the choir, and began,
"Good morning! Let's open with a prayer." Then, realizing that the pastor was there in the choir, I asked him if he wanted to be the person to pray for us.
"No, I think we should just sing." He said nasally.
I tried to conceal my shock and embarrassment as I mumbled, flustered, "OK, then let's just start the song."
---
I'm still appalled that the pastor flat-out refused my request to pray. If he didn't want to lead us in prayer, sure I could understand that. I wouldn't have minded leading the prayer, but I offered it to him so that he wouldn't feel slighted, as he IS the pastor after all. It was out of my respect for his position that I had asked him. Instead, I feel like he completely undermined my authority as the choir director by dictating how our music rehearsal ought to go.
I think praying together is a wonderful way to get peoples' hearts and minds tuned into worship, the reason they're at the church (!), so that we're able to minister more effectively to the congregation. It sets our egos and worries and everything else aside so that we can focus on our reason for being there: God. I realize now that my personal emotional reaction was based on my ego's response, but I still believe his response was inappropriate.
And now? My lesson's learned.
I won't ask him to pray.
Instead, I'll simply ask if the others will join me in prayer, and I'll lead it.
Monday, October 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment