Today in one of my courses, all of us were required to take turns directing the ensemble. On my first run-through of the tongue-in-cheek piece, I didn't so quite as well as I'd practiced. The second time, I allowed myself to be freer- I used my face to convey the teasing, slightly naughty tone of the song.
When I finished, some of the guys in the ensemble burst out into laughter. One of them raised his hand and offered a compliment. I thanked him and smiled as I returned to my seat.
Later in the day, I saw the guy who'd complimented me, and I thanked him again for his kind feedback in class.
"Your facial expressions," he started, "...It was like you were flirting with the choir. It made the piece so much more fun and interesting to sing!"
~*~*~*~
So that's why the guys laughed after I'd finished. One of the them had told me several weeks ago that on the first day (the departmental introductory meeting), he and his buddies were checking out the new female students. He said that I was definitely one of the girls they noticed, and that he and his friends were quite surprised when I was introduced as a GA (because they had thought I was a freshman). *grin*
Thursday, October 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment