Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Off timing!

While sitting down at my desk to review an article for class this afternoon, I heard my cell phone vibrate. Oops, I'd forgotten to turn the ringer on when I'd left school and I'd missed the call. I checked the number and saw that it was a number local to my home area. I was quite confused. Who would be calling me? Perhaps it was someone from the substitute teaching list ... no, wait, I'm not on that list anymore because I didn't sub this past year.

I listened to the message.

"Hello, Estrella. This is ImportantLady from the Board of Education. I was wondering if you had a job at this point. We're anticipating an opening in yourfield, and we'd like to know if you'd be available for an interview."

Oh my gosh! I hadn't even submitted an application to the district! I'd met with ImportantLady last December to feel out job possibilities and to maintain connections in my home area. I had given her my resume, and she discussed it with me ... a very informal almost-interview.

So I called back immediately and left a message with her secretary. She returned my call a few minutes later, repeating the information she'd left on the voicemail.

I told her I was currently in a year long graduate Degree program at GradSchool. Because she was so conversational and friendly, I freely shared that I was disappointed I couldn't accept a position this year, but that I will indeed be looking for a position next year! I also remembered to thank her for thinking of me. She asked me to submit an application so that one would be on file when they consider candidates for next year ... and I know there will be a new available position next year!

(This Spring, I'll have to think seriously about some big questions as I get more serious about my job search: Where do I want a job? At what level? My present dream would be to teach in international schools ... but I'd need some experience in this country first. So many factors to consider! But yay! A call for an interview! From an ImportantLady! And I hadn't even formally applied for a position there!!! Sweet!!!)

1 comment:

post-doc said...

Congratulations! That's very flattering and definitely encouraging for your future job searches. I'm so pleased for you!