Oops. I just ate half a box of Girl Scout cookies. Those Thin Mints, especially when frozen, are difficult to resist! I better go put the rest of the box back in the freezer.
On Wednesday, I drove a few hours past the conference location to visit great aunt and great uncle! How I love them! Both were college professors and great aunt also shared stories about her career as an army nurse during WWII! They live on a farm and great uncle used to keep sheep. :-) As I drove to their home, I passed many other farms where I saw horses, goats, sheep ... and BUFFALO! The latter was quite unexpected (and highly amusing as I drove through that particular small town)! I spent several hours there ... listening to stories, sharing my experiences from this year, and enjoying wonderful home-cooked food. I hope it won't be another two years until I see them again.
At conference, I attended wonderful sessions which were inspiring ... One in particular was the best session I've ever attended at a conference (this was my 7th professional conference). I also attended a session by the DoP ... and I had the chance to sit down with her later to discuss the GA offer. I adore this woman. I think she'd be a great mentor for me. I know I'd learn a lot from working with her. And - she worked it out that I could indeed complete the degree in two semesters instead of the three she had proposed when she offered the position to me last week.
After talking with her, I again thought to myself, "How could I turn down this offer? It'd be a great opportunity! Not only will I grow as a musician and make some good professional connections, I'd have the opportunity to tour abroad next summer in this position."
But ... being at the conference and learning so many new ideas for teaching in the classroom tugged at my heart. I really miss my kids from student-teaching. I miss teaching. And ... the high school job which is opening up near home? Awesome, awesome position. My dream job. I got an email today from the teacher who's retiring, and they can't make any final decisions until the interviews on May 10th. Ugh. So ... even if I were able to interview this week ... I wouldn't know anyway before I'm supposed to notify DoP.
I'm leaning more towards the assistantship, even with the things I'm not so happy about ... but I'm also a bit afraid that a "awesome job" like the current high school possibility won't open up for next year. But ... I don't want to turn down the GAship and gamble for the "awesome job" and not get it ... and be without either opportunity.
Right now, I'm past the point where I can ask others for advice. Honestly, it's really up to me. I think that's part of what scares me. I don't want to make the wrong decision. I want what is best for me and for my career ... but it's arguable whether teaching experience or this particular graduate degree would be more beneficial. I'm praying about it. After the conference and my conversation with DoP, I really felt myself leaning towards accepting the GAship. Now, after having just received the email from the retiring teacher asking me to see if I can do a "song and dance" number with the university (and ask if they can extend the deadline) ... I'm again leaning toward that.
More money out of pocket VS. Salary starting in September
Rural location (of RuralSchool) VS. Semi-rural location (but an hour's drive from home)
Good mentorship experience, some peer-teaching experience at the collegiate level VS. First year teaching experience in public school
More professional contacts & opportunities VS. Existing opportunities in potential "awesome job"
Cold weather VS. Not-as-cold weather (preferred)
Position highly recommended by two faculty members (but advised against by two others as well as my former cooperating teacher) VS. Position I was recommended for
Guaranteed offer VS. Risky offer
~*~*~*~*~*~
My heart is still being twisted and tugged ... and it's still leaning more towards accepting the GAship. God, can't you just make it a little more clear? I know I told people I'd probably accept the GAship if I couldn't get an interview for "awesome job" this week ... but is it really what You want me to do?! Can you nudge me a little more so I feel more certain about the choice You want me to make?! I'm sure You've already been nudging me in that direction ... but perhaps You could knock me over the head instead? Maybe that's what I need. (P.S. Thanks for helping me get complete my assignments for today ~ I'm actually still feeling pretty good after getting only 3 hours of sleep last night!)
Monday, April 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
It's a tough decision, but it sounds like you have good options and a wonderful year ahead of you regardless of the choice you make. You see the good in both options, so I rather think you'll be happy either way. It's an inherent quality within you, I think, to find the good and embrace that with faith and happiness.
I know it's hard to leave a place you love. I hope you enjoy your last days there with people who appreciate you.
Just think - you can read this a year from now and know that all the turmoil was worthwhile because life worked out quite well. :)
Post a Comment