Tuesday, April 17, 2007

13 Days

... is the amount of time I have to make a decision. A decision that has the potential to change my life forever.

I got a personal phone call from the director of the program (DoP) at RuralSchool today. I was DoP's top choice for the Graduate Assistantship position ... and I was offered the position today. A little less than 5 hours ago.

Now, DoP told me that she'd prefer that I spend 3 semesters instead of 2 semesters there as a GA because while I'm very strong in all of the other musical components, I'm weakest in the area which I would specifically study with her. One of the major advantages of the program was its brevity ~ one year for the whole program. One semester later- midyear- would not be ideal for trying to find a teaching job immediately after graduation.

I'm wondering if this is what I really want ... but at the same time, I'm wondering if I'd be an absolute fool to turn down this position because of the good experience it would give me. But ... I'm still waiting to get the call regarding the interview for the high school job I looked into. (I was told I'd be called when they set a date for interviews.)

So ...

I'm going to play the, "Hey, I've been offered this gig ... but I'm still interested in your gig" game ... and see if I can get them to let me interview within the next two weeks (like I really have the free time to do that, what with all the craziness of last-minute assignments and finals and graduation preparation and etc.) ...

I asked my department chair if I could send him my rough draft of this note so he can suggest any decisions before I actually send it to the people for whom it's intended. Maybe I should get on that ...
~*~*~*~

An aside: I'm going to a conference this weekend, and tomorrow, I'll be visiting some family members who live a couple hours from the conference location. :-) And Saturday will mark 2 weeks until G-Day. :-)

1 comment:

The Contessa said...

Wow!!!! That's amazing!!!! If you have to have a problem, this is the kind you WANT to have, though it may seem tough right now.

I am sure whatever it is that you decide, will be right for you. 3 semesters isn't so bad....

best of luck!