Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween! ... and tangents

I got my CT to promise he'd wear whatever Halloween costume I brought for him today. So... last night, I went to Ex-Boyfriend's building and borrowed some essentials.

Today, I wore my black pants and an orange turtleneck (with cute, jingly pumpkin socks!) and left all the costume pieces for both CT and me in my car during Homeroom. I didn't want his students to see our costumes before their regular classes!

During his planning period, I retrieved the costumes: For him-- the Phantom of the Opera mask, accompanying cape and white gloves ... and ... a Wagnerian Brunhilde helmet with horns. (The Phantom costume by itself was nice-- but the helmet was added for the extra humor!) I think he got a kick out of having his students guess the two different parts of his costume. :-) The kids LOVED what he wore-- and some insisted on using their cell phones to take pictures of his costume.

I was a bit more conservative~ I wore a lovely Renaissance gown that I wore in high school- a costume my mom made for me years ago when I was part of a small group which performed repertoire from the Renaissance era. While it felt a little snug up top, it was also well-received. The girls were very complimentary. :-)

I had thought about going on rounds (I'm on RA duty tonight) in my costume-- but decided that maybe I better not. Most people don't have classes tomorrow and I imagine they're taking advantage of that. (There have been parties every night since Thursday.) Don't want them to be any more disoriented (due to my costume) than they probably already are (or are preparing to be).

Speaking of parties, I went to my first Halloween party on Friday. (Is it sad that it was my first-- as a senior in college?) The theme was "Snakes and Ninjas on a Plane" and it was mostly attended by students at a NearbySchool, all of whom seemed to know each other through their shared Christian denomination campus ministry programs. I had some really great conversations with intelligent people -- laughs, pictures, music, good times. I met a really cute guy who's involved in heading up the Campus Ministry programs at NearbySchool ... Definitely the type of guy I'd like to meet ... but ... his Christian denomination is different than mine. This is no problem with me-- if he's living for my God, that's what counts ... But ... I don't know if he's one of those super-followers of his denomination who tend to refer to themselves as their representatives of their denomination, rather than simply a believer in Christ. The type of follower who might only date followers of his particular denomination. A denomination to which I'm not willing to convert because certain traditions and beliefs are not Scripturally-based. Aack! Why am I overanalyzing this cute guy from the party?!

I think my overanalysis might result from a comment I heard from BestFriend who had also been at the party. We had gone to the opera two weeks ago with many of the same people who were at this party -- and apparently while BestFriend and I visited the Ladies' Room that night, one of the guys in said group made many derogatory comments about non-denomination Christians (i.e. "All Christians not of his particular denomination should just die.") ... Isn't that just an awful thing to say? My whole philosophy is that we Christians are all members of Christ's church -- even if we have slightly different beliefs. Therefore, we need to work together to promote the Gospel. Being divided and biased against one another dampens the effectiveness of our mission and ministry.

I doubt I'll hear from the guy at the party ... but there is a cute guy at church too. :-) I smiled at him the other day just because I was smiling at the person standing next to him, and we did make eye contact-- but no response from him. Can't tell if he's just shy or if he thought I was interested and he's trying to nip that in the bud. Then ... during the service, he was giving out communion (he's a seminarian) ... and he was just about to serve communion to me when one of the other servers reached me first. I looked up from my prayer and it was like this awkward pause while he stepped back and the other guy gave me communion. Then after the service, I waited in the sanctuary, sitting next to another member of the congregation, to listen to the organ postlude before retrieving my belongings ... and the guy passed me, made eye contact with the man next to me (and maybe nodded slightly- not sure), and avoided me completely! *sigh* There's always next Sunday ... :-)

No comments: