... until I graduate! Then "real life" begins.
Today, my professor came into one of my lessons to observe my teaching. This was my first observation! My cooperating teacher has given me very positive feedback, but today I had to teach in front of the person who taught me everything I know about teaching strings! No pressure!
I wore my favorite black pants and a red/black/gold shirt, hoping that the bright colors would perk me up. (Last night's duty included a fire drill and a drug incident ... so I ended up with about 5 hours of sleep.)
The girls in my lesson, who had been squirrelly last week, were so well-behaved today! In fact, when one of the girls came in, she informed my professor, "I think Miss ************ is a great teacher!" (I chimed in with, "I didn't even offer to pay her to tell you that!") My professor asked the girl, "Why is that?" The girl responded, "Because she's really nice and she helped me practice! And she helps me!"
All three girls played so well. All of them practiced more this week, and it showed in their playing. I goofed a couple of times (oops-- wrong preparation activity for the one song! I had skipped ahead to the next song's preparation instead!), but my cooperating teacher jumped in and helped me out. The girls really responded well to what we worked on, and I was so proud of them!
I received great feedback from my professor when we talked after the lesson. He was pleased with what he saw, and his criticisms were merely different strategies on how to more effectively deal with some of the issues the students (and I) encountered in the lesson. I felt so relieved!
He'll be returning again in 2 weeks to observe the same group of girls, and even though he asked me to model on a string instrument next time (instead of with my voice/ arms), I think I'll be fine!
Wednesday, October 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment