When close friends of mine come to me with problems, I offer to pray for them and ask if they want to pray together. (My close friends are all believers.) When the tragedy occurred in my community earlier this year, one of my friends was more closely involved than I was. After we had responded as required by our profession, we prayed together and she shared with me her experiences that evening. When BestFriend needed guidance regarding her then-boyfriend (now-fiance), we prayed.
I know God does amazing things. I know from personal experience that He is faithful and loving. He listens to and answers prayer. But I didn't realize how powerful it is to even offer to pray for someone.
I've encountered three of my girls crying in the past week. One I saw last week-- because she had just broken up with her boyfriend of 3+ years. The other two were in the common areas last night-- one whose father had been in an accident (but is doing fine), and the other whose boyfriend in Iraq was stationed very near an area of multiple explosions yesterday and she had not heard from him.
I told each girl that I'd pray for her and the persons involved in the issue she was facing. (Usually, I'm not as direct about my faith with people because I suppose I try to live it more than speak about it. I mean, I'll pray for them, but I don't usually tell them that I am.) It was really moving for me when, after I told each of these girls that they'd be in my prayers, their faces became more peaceful and they really seemed to feel better already. Sharing my prayers for them seemed to convey more of my care and love for these girls than any sympathetic words or looks or hugs did. It's amazing how God works in our lives.
Wednesday, October 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment