Already, I've completed the easy-peasy application for my home district's system. The one secondary opening I'd heard of was already filled internally, which means that there is now an opening at the elementary level. While I love kids at that age, and I enjoy working with choirs of that age, I'd rather not teach mainly general music to all 600+ students at the school, especially when choir is not the main aspect of that type of position. My graduate degree focused on working with choirs, and I really want a job where I get to do that!
Maybe I shouldn't be so picky.
I mean, my criteria now is as follows:
Type of position: Secondary vocal (prefer high school level, but would try to get experience at junior high level if that's all that is available)
Location: Not too far from home -- by that, I mean within a 6-hour radius of home, although preferably not too far from GradSchool (where Westley still is, which is 5 hours from home); also - I'd love to be near a city (within an hour's drive) because of the cultural opportunities available there, but- no urban schools for me- I do not have the personality nor any desire to teach inner-city
The main problem I've encountered thus far (at least, from what I suspect) is that I have no formal teaching experience. It doesn't matter that I likely have more experience in my field than almost any other new college graduate in my field (graduate assistantship, professional internships, substitute teaching experience, performance experience, a couple publications, membership in several venerable professional organizations, etc). In spite of all of those things, I do believe the fact that I haven't actually taught in a public school before makes me significantly less desirable.
I've just gotta keep reminding myself that God has a plan for my life. And, as is usual in my life, everything turns out much better when I let Him lead. :-)
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment