Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Feeling a little more confident

Last night, I talked on the phone with one of my co-ops from student teaching. He didn't know much about the position for which I'm interviewing tomorrow, but he gave me some great advice to consider as I prepare for my FIRST EVER INTERVIEW! It helped that he had insight to share as he'd served on the interviewing committee for several candidates in his district. We reminisced about my time at his school, and he updated me on how his students are doing.

At one point, he remarked, "When you left here, I know you left a piece of yourself behind," referencing how closely I'd connected with his students. I acknowledged it to be true; my experience there left me hungry for more. It had been a tough decision to go to GradSchool directly after finishing at AlmaMater because I so wanted to have my own kids, my own program. I'm very excited as this dream, this hope, is hurtling towards becoming a reality. (I want a job!)

~*~*~*~

Later in the evening, I talked with my contact in the district where I'm interviewing tomorrow. I am soooo grateful for his willingness to answer my questions about the district, the community, the existing program, and the interviewing committee's visions for the program (and what they're hoping to find in a candidate).

I'd been warned by some that I might not be as attractive a candidate with my Master's because I'm more expensive; however, this contact reassured me that this was not the case in his district. If anything, he said, NCLB has really pushed for districts to find the most highly qualified teachers. With the experience I gained through my grad program, I may be more attractive because the difference in pay (B.S. vs. B.S. with additional credits/degree) isn't that extreme. (Alas, I'd hoped that my degree would pay for itself in a year or two; that doesn't appear to be the case in this district.)

I still have some research to do (unexpected tip: brush up on reading and math standards for the state, even though those are NOT my subject area), and I've got to finish organizing my portfolio (most things are in one place; I can polish it more before Round Two if I'm called back). I've also got to choose which dress shirt I want to wear (more conservative stripes or a bright, warm color) and iron it. Then I'll get to practice answering interview questions as I drive for a LONG time today. I'm due to leave in 3 hours, so I ought to take the towel off my head, comb out my hair, get the above list done, pack, book a hotel room, and take off!

No comments: