Saturday, May 17, 2008

Childhood dreams

While walking down the driveway to collect today's mail, I gazed into the woods on one side. Beautiful leafy greens. Shadows and the occasional ray of sunlight. Adventures waiting to happen.

When we were younger, my siblings, neighbors and I used to explore in the woods. We'd go adventuring for hours ... seeking new places, hidden treasures, nature's secrets. Our greatest goal was to find a way to cross the creek in the woods. What was on the other side?

I used to drift off into fantasy. Surely unicorns and other mythological creatures were sequestered in these woods. Somewhere.

We once found a treehouse (such excitement was unparalleled) and there were numerous attempts to cross the creek over old trees which had fallen over both banks. Once, my best friend fell in, and we sheepishly found our way to the road and walked home, soaking wet.

It's been years since I ventured out there. Fear of snakes and ticks discouraged me. My neighborhood friend moved away. My brother became more interested in computer games, and my sister decided that her interests lay elsewhere as well.

Part of me wants to go exploring in nature ... to find a quiet place ... away from everything ... where I can read ... or write (Stories? I haven't written any for at least 10 years. Poetry? Not much since high school. Music? Haven't felt the inspiration much lately either...) Somehow, the thought of a secret corner where I could simply experience nature sounds incredibly serene and appealing ... Perhaps it's the thought of re-discovering my imagination which is so appealing?

No comments: