Thursday, August 30, 2007

Random Act on a Thursday Night

After rehearsal this evening, Green and I were driving the short distance from campus to our apartment building. As we stopped at a stop sign, I noticed a college-age kid who appeared to be sitting cross-legged on the sidewalk diagonally in front of us. I commented to Green,

"I wonder what that kid's doing. I can't tell if he's listening to music." (To me, in the dark, it almost looked like the kid was meditating, which struck me as quite odd.)

"He looks as though he's in pain," Green thought aloud. As I glanced over at the kid, I realized he seemed to be grasping his ankle.

So, after traveling through the tiny intersection, I pulled over and put on my flashers.

"Go see if he's OK," I told Green. (I figured- Green is tall and male. Better for him to approach this kid.) Green hesitated.

"Fine," I said decidedly (RA training in response to potential problem kicking in), "I'll go." (Green did get out of the car and follow me as I approached the kid.)

"Are you OK?" I asked as I reached him.

"Actually, I kinda hurt my ankle. I was running and I think I sprained it or something."

"What can I do to help?" I asked. My thoughts were racing. He seems genuine, and he's definitely mentally with it. I don't sense any potential danger to myself by offering to help. Then it occurred to me, Man, I don't even know where the nearest hospital in this area is.

"Where do you live? Can I give you a ride?" I continued.

"Yeah, thanks. That'd be great. I live on campus." He managed to get up, but it was obvious to see that it pained him to walk. He climbed into my backseat, and it took me less than 5 minutes to drop him off in front of his building. While I did introduce Green and myself, saying we were both new to the school, I never even learned the kid's name.

1 comment:

post-doc said...

As someone with an injured ankle, I can definitely sympathize with the poor kid - it's terribly painful. So I'm very glad you weren't alone and were able to help him. It's not always easy to be both caring and safe and I'm glad you were able to pull it off. Yay for you!