Home again after 36 days ... 3 weeks of study ... 2 weeks of traveling in Budapest, Sopron (Hungary), Vienna, Salzburg, Bratislava, Prague ...
I don't even know how to begin to describe my adventures ...
Loved my studies, loved the international scene, loved meeting people at different stages in their careers, loved the music ...
Loved seeing new places, hanging out with complete strangers from hostels and discovering how similar we are despite however far apart we may live ...
Loved traveling alone because it gave me the opportunity to meet these new people. I especially liked traveling alone as a female because some of the guys I met treated me to dinner and drinks. :-) Met several nice guys (developed a huge crush on a handsome British man in Austria, had great philosophical discussions with a very cute guy from Sweden, hung out with some brothers from the States, chilled with a few Canadian boys too) ... If only I could meet guys this easily in the States! :-)
I told my mother when I got home that I've turned into her ... I am still a rather shy person at times, but I always found a way to make conversation with the people around me. The people made my experience more memorable ... but ... I loved seeing the sights too!
Budapest: Castle Hill, Heroes' Square, the Chain Bridge, Margit Island, musuems, Vaci Utca ... Would like to return someday, perhaps to study?
Salzburg: Museums, Mozart's birthplace and residence, churches, Sound of Music tour ... definitely my favorite city until I went to Prague ... would love to return someday, perhaps to study? Charming.
Vienna: churches, cemetary where Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, Strauss are buried, museums, sailing on the Danube ... Didn't love this city as I thought I would ... I'm going back next summer on a choir tour, but otherwise, I don't know how much I'd really want to return.
Bratislava: a day trip with my sister ... nice castle ... fun souvenir shopping ... definitely worth the $20 round trip train ticket from Vienna ... but ... I don't think that I'd go back again.
Prague: magical, colorful ... Would have loved to have had more time and less rain there ... Definitely plan to return!
In a nutshell, that was my trip. Amazing. Life-changing.
I now have less than a week before my move into RuralArea for grad school. Less than a week to unpack souvenirs (and figure out who gets what) ... less than a week to pack for my new apartment ... less than a week to see everyone at home before I leave ... less than a week to prepare before starting a new and very different year than any I've previously experienced.
When I'm less lazy, I'll upload pictures from my travels and post them on here. :-) I look forward to catching up on my favorite blogs and reading about your summers!
((One more thing: I have a very serious prayer request for someone very close to me.))
Sunday, August 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Welcome back! I'm glad you had such an amazing time - it sounds wonderful.
Post a Comment