Saturday, August 25, 2007

more unofficial beginnings

*I tried posting this Saturday (8/25) morning ... but the internet connection is not incredibly reliable.


When I expressed some mild concerns about cooking this year, my mom always repeated my grandfather's words about cooking: If you can read [a recipe], you can cook.

Green and I made dinner again last night. He's teaching me how to make different meals. I don't think I could replicate the amazing goodness that was supertender chicken in some sort of sauce that contained red & green peppers, water, garlic, ketchup, oil, sugar, curry, and onions. Green didn't use a recipe. No reading involved. Still, he jokingly promised that next time we attempted to make this dish, he'd let me do ALL of the work under his guidance and supervision.

~*~*~*~*~

Today is another day for first impressions ... I'll have the chance this weekend to meet the students I'll be working with for the next year.

(Why on a weekend? Individual vocal evaluations for choir are necessary before the ensemble's first meeting so that rehearsal time can be devoted to rehearsing, instead of deciding whether SusieQ is a Soprano I or II and if Johnny, who thinks he's a tenor, really belongs with the baritones.)

It doesn't seem so strange to me to meet them out of the class setting ... Music majors are a rare breed; we're always in our academic building for some reason or another - to practice, to sip coffee and talk for hours in the lounge, to study, to rehearse, to work on projects in the computer lab (and giggle at others' clever creations), to hang out, to have karoake sessions in the practice rooms with someone (usually me) sightreading the sheet music on piano, to play freezetag in the hallways on Saturday nights at midnight... oh ... and maybe attend classes too.

While I don't know for sure, I'd have a hard time believing that liberal arts kids claim their building for their own in the same way we do. :-)

(And now- oops, it's already late morning- better get ready! I was hoping to get there a few hours early to practice since I myself haven't really sung for about 3 weeks!)

No comments: