Real first day of classes! Yay! I'm so excited for this year!
While I continue to realize and appreciate how much I learned in my time at UGSchool, one of my concerns was a lack of specialization in the particular branch of my career path. I received a large, well-laid foundation ... but I feared that the broader aspects of my education would make me pretty good in most areas while keeping me only mediocre in the areas which most interested me. (Of course, that's not all completely accurate or fair to UGSchool because I did seek myriad opportunities, both through the school and beyond, which helped me to grow: insert long, crazy list of fun activities here)
Anyway, now I'm finally getting to specialize (a little more) in my field ... When I realized that I wasn't going to get everything I wanted to learn out of my undergraduate curriculum, I reassured myself that I could really study what I wanted to learn when I went for my Master's. I'm still finding it hard to believe that I'm doing that now! I had planned to teach right away ... and get my Master's within my first five years after graduation. Early this year, when I wrote the email to Mentor in response to the advertisement I'd seen for the program, I was simply curious. I wanted more information on the program, thinking I'd save it for later when I would seriously be considering graduate programs. When I came to audition, I figured I'd do it just for the experience. (My thoughts & professors' advice: auditioning for a Master's program= good experience for the future) While I'd been told I had a good chance of getting the assistantship, I did NOT expect to actually get it - nor did I expect to have to choose between this unexpected offer and a teaching job that in many ways was my DREAM JOB. (And the conflicting advice from professors at UGSchool made the decision more difficult. One said, "This is perfect for you. You are perfect for this position. *insert long pause here* I don't think you should do it.")
I love it here already ... and I feel certain that I really am where I should be. This is what I'm meant to be doing at this time ... and ... I'm already very glad that I chose to do this. I adore Mentor, I'm greatly amused by my quirky but fun new voice teacher, and everyone I've met has been very friendly and helpful. (Oh, and I've only been confused for a new freshman twice. In spite of my making such an effort to dress professionally. *laughs*) All that being said, I really do look forward to getting a teaching job soon because I can't wait to try out all that I'll have learned this year!!!
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment