Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Before the Not-Quite First Day of School

All grad students (or maybe just GAs?) have Orientation this morning. In less than an hour.

What to wear?!

This institution is less formal (meaning: less superficial presentation, more genuine people in general- a good thing!) than MySchool ... and ...

I want to make a good impression (meaning: present myself professionally, like I'm taking this seriously like it's my job- oh wait- it is my job!), but I don't want to look like I'm trying too hard (i.e. I'm not going to go there in one of my I-am-woman-hear-me-roar powersuits - this just isn't that type of school).

Where is the balance?

My solution after considering a few outfits is: gray pants (striped with black and white) and a somewhat-trendy-but-can-pass-for-businesslike black shirt. My choices were somewhat limited considering I a) don't own a pair of khaki pants which go with any of the less-formal-but-still-professional-looking shirts I have (because I feel like khaki can go either way more easily than darker colors), and b) I don't have a lot of clothing for it's-summer-but-it's-cold-outside type weather.

To myself: Stop freaking out! I better put on makeup, blowdry the hair, get dressed, and be ready to be there in less than 45 minutes!

No comments: