My car is now over 1000 miles older after my brief road trip last week. I drove to CoolCity on Wednesday to attend concerts at both of the schools where I had student taught last fall. To my surprise and delight, the elementary orchestra kids remembered me! It was a pleasure to return to that school and hear how far they have come since October. I loved seeing the high school choir kids too. They performed some of my all-time favorite choral pieces: If Music Be the Food of Love by Dickau and The Awakening by Joseph Martin(?). Lovely to hear them, and I enjoyed chatting with them after the concert!
Two days later, I drove to Rural School for my first private lesson, the beginning of my graduate studies! I'm very grateful for the independent study this summer because my skills are so far behind in this area, and I expect that I will learn much more from the one-on-one learning environment. Yay! After getting to know the area better and attending yet another concert, I drove back to CoolCity in time to sing at church on Sunday. (No CGFC, but ... my "private detective" told me she was breaking confidence by sharing that CGFC had told her husband he had been very interested in me, but he was simply too busy. I'm taking this with a grain of salt because few people are so busy that they cannot return a phone call ... but ... it was nice to hear anyway.)
After church, I drove back home. On the way, I met up with a friend/mentor. She's approaching a new decade in her life, and she was reflecting on all that she's been able to accomplish in this past decade.
"This past decade [20's] has been very much about me and what I've wanted to do. You know," she said, "God does great things with single people." (That line really stuck with me, because I've been feeling more and more lately that I have so much adventuring to do before I'll be ready to settle down in one place!)
She continued, "I don't think I would have been able to do all that I have done if I hadn't been single." She reflected more on what she has done and how approaching this next chapter in her life (talking of marriage plans) has already begun to shape her outlook on what the new decade will bring.
~*~*~*~
Last night, I led a youth choir rehearsal because the director, my friend, was out of town. I loved it! I haven't worked with a choir since student teaching last fall ... and I hadn't realized just how much I've missed it.
On the agenda for this week: errands, cleaning, unpacking, practicing, and preparing for the next (slightly more intense) road trip in less than 2 weeks!
Tuesday, May 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment