Before this year, I'd been to only two weddings of friends of mine (in my age group). Now it seems like more and more of my friends are getting engaged or married.
I'll be in BestFriend's wedding in less than 2 weeks. Two weeks after that, I'm going to another wedding. Today, I was asked to be an Honorary Bridesmaid for the wedding of my closest friend from home. (She had to move up her wedding date because of her new job, and now I won't be able to go because I'm still gonna be at the international conference then. I can't change my plans, and I am very upset that I can't be there in person for her.) In the past week, I've found out a former classmate who just got married and another friend who just got engaged.
I'm so excited and happy for all of these people. It's so wonderful that they've found the person with whom they want to spend the rest of their life. I guess ... it's taken me by surprise, the suddenness of all of this. While I recognize that we've slowly been growing and maturing over the years, my memories of these people (from years and years ago) don't seem all that distant.
The classmate who just got married? I remember him doodling on my papers 10 years ago. The friend who just got engaged? I still recall her as a shy high school freshman who had just moved to my area.
Perhaps part of the reason all this seems so baffling to me is because I'm just not at that stage yet. I've learned more (vicariously) through BestFriend's developing relationship than through my own limited dating experience. And I'm happy. In the meantime (that is, until I reach that point myself someday), I'll enjoy celebrating with friends as they make their everlasting commitments of love and faithfulness. :-)
Tuesday, May 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment