Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Goodbye to MySchool & CGFC, Hello to Summer

After the reception on Saturday, my mom came back to my room to help me pack all my stuff while the rest of my family meandered around CoolCity. (What a mom!) Even though I had brought a carload of my belongings home when I returned home for the previous week's interview, I still had a crazy amount of stuff in the room. In fact, all my stuff FILLED the family van and my sweet little car.

Saturday night, my family joined the families of 5 of my friends (the clique of which I was formerly a part) for dinner. I was surprised that they'd invited me ... and I had hesitated about going ... but then ... I realized, "Why not? This could be the last time we're all together like this." So I decided to go, just for old times' sake. And, just as I have been excluded from the clique's activities this year ... my family was the only family at our particular table while the other 5 families shared the other two tables. There was still some interaction ... but ... I suppose I preferred that it worked out this way, so that I could still enjoy a special dinner with my family while also occasionally chatting with the other girls (without having to try hard to make small talk with their families whom I don't know). Yeah ... so ... weird, but OK. It was nice to see them, and it wasn't difficult saying goodbye because I'd already said goodbye to them emotionally last fall. (Ouch ~ that sounds pretty awful. I suppose I mean- we've grown apart, and I've healed since then.)

Sunday ~ church in the morning. CGFC was there. I was playing through the hymns for our choir (since the organist hadn't come in to rehearse with us yet), and CGFC walked in to ask if we wanted to run over the service music with the organist. I was shocked to see him because I had thought that his final service at the church had been two weeks ago.

Later, we crossed paths before the service. We exchanged greetings.

He asked, "How are you? Are you done with classes?"

"I graduated yesterday," I announced to him proudly. And I said something about my assistantship for next year.

"How about you? Are you done?" He said he was pretty much done. Of course, he never said anything about never having called like he'd said he would. And that was that. No more conversation with CGFC. I certainly don't think he'll be there when I return in 2 weeks. But oh! A part of me really wishes he'd realize what he missed out on (me!!!) and be even the slightest bit regretful! :-) As I walked back to MySchool's campus from church (quite possibly the last time ever), I erased his number from my cell phone. Don't need it.

That afternoon, my family and I finished packing and loaded the two cars. Then we drove the several hours home.

Yesterday, I slept in and stayed in my pajamas for the entire day. Today, I slept in even later but stayed in pajamas only until mid-afternoon. :-) I unloaded the cars ... but unpacking will take much longer. Need to unpack. Need to gather things for a yard sale. Need to reclaim my bedroom at home from all the boxes and bags and everything else. And now? Need to go to sleep so that I can be bright and perky for an appointment in the morning!

(This week, I'm in recovery mode. Next week, I hope to start working my flexible summer job before I return to CoolCity for a brief spell!)

2 comments:

post-doc said...

Some men just fail to realize the opportunities presented to them are so incredible. But I'm so glad you tried and that, had timing been better, things might have worked out much differently. I hope the next man who catches your attention will be even better than CGFC.

More importantly, congrats on getting your things moved back home! I hope the recovery process went well and that you're pleased with how your summer is shaping up.

The Contessa said...

I love Pajama days.

You are much wiser at your young age about men then I am at my sadly (sigh) older age!

There's a good man out there for you - and he will be the one who will call!