Monday, March 12, 2007

Bella Italia ~ pictures! :-)

So, I did opt to miss the classes because I'd already emailed the professors. But ... it's a good thing I did because I learned of new residents on my floor (not from my bosses, but from my other girls and from our floor's awesome housekeeper), and I got a phone call from a former teacher/friend at home who recommended me for a job for next year! Yay! (HS choir director in nearby area is retiring.)
And ... even though I have not started on the work which was due for my classes today, I did upload some Italy pictures for your viewing pleasure:


This ^^ was the combined luggage that BestFriend and I brought to Italy. Really. Our backpacks (mine on the left) and our purses. My plan was to bring old clothing I no longer wanted ... and I was going to throw it out as we went along. We were extremely proud of ourselves for packing so lightly!

Yup, this is the Colosseum in Rome. Gorgeous ... and huge! Standing next to it and near it was awe-inspiring when I considered the history of the structure ... and considered that wherever I stood near it, millions of people had stood there before me for centuries. The games and other activities held there were open to the public, even to the poor, and of course, tourists from all over the world had been visiting the ruins for centuries too.
One of my favorite shots from Venice, taken from the Rialto Bridge. I LOVED this city ... BestFriend and I walked everywhere ... and the town felt incredibly cozy and not overly modern or extra-touristy like the other places we visited.My favorite bargaining story: The Gondola Ride. BestFriend and I walked up to a gondolier on Monday mid-afternoon (wow, this was already a week ago!) and asked the cost of a ride.
"80 Euros," he replied. We looked at each other, downcast. We were not able to pay that much.
"Are the prices the same at all times of the day?" I asked hopefully, since BestFriend and I had discussed trying to get a ride early the next day, thinking that early morning might be a better deal.
"At night it starts out at 100 Euro." He told us, and no, there were no cheaper rates for earlier in the day. He then asked if we were students. We affirmed that we were.
"Special student price is 70 Euro," he offered. BestFriend and I looked at one another again.
"We'll have to think about it," I said truthfully as BestFriend and I started to walk off, about to discuss whether we ought to consider paying 35 Euro apiece for a ride. I felt a tap on my shoulder.
"For you- special price. 60 Euro. There are not many customers right now." BestFriend and I looked at one another again- this was a much better deal and much more doable. We grinned, knowing that we both wanted to go, so we agreed to pay 60 Euro. Amazing view, soothing ride, and well worth it!


A view of Florence from Pitti Palace ... BestFriend and I were especially excited about visiting Il Duomo because we had learned a piece last year in our Music History course which had been played at the unveiling of the Dome. The composer had been commissioned to write a piece by a wealthy patron named Eugenius. The song was somewhat polyphonic, meaning that the parts overlapped one another so that the text wasn't clear throughout the piece. The composer wanted to please his sponsor, so in one very clear measure, all of the voices unite on the word "Eugenius" so that it was very clear to the audience who had commissioned the piece. BestFriend and I quietly sang to one another, "Eugenius!" while we were inside the Dome. :-)

I did end up leaving behind clothing and flip-flops and toiletries ... but BestFriend and I both decided to purchase small carry-on baggage outside of the Florence train station (for 10 Euro apiece) to hold our souvenirs. :-)

1 comment:

post-doc said...

Such pretty pictures! It sounds like you had an amazing trip - yay for you and BestFriend!