On Saturday, my last full day in Italy, BestFriend and I woke up at 7am (Italy time) in order to get to the Vatican by the time it opened. We went to bed at 1am the following morning after a long day at the Vatican Museums, an evening at the opera, one last outing for yummy gelato, and packing. We got up at 5am to leave for the airport by 6am for our 9am flight. I had a few half-hour naps on the two plane rides (Rome to this country, that airport to my airport) ... and didn't get to sleep until midnight (my time here) last night.
Feeling extremely worn out, I seriously expected to not be awake and functioning for at least 12 hours ... so I emailed my professors and told them I wasn't feeling well. (I wasn't feeling well ~ I was exhausted and sniffly!) I set my alarm for noon so that my sleeping pattern wouldn't be too out of whack, and I went to sleep.
Imagine my surprise (and horror) when I woke up at 7:30am this morning, feeling quite chipper. No more sniffles. Not really tired.
Did I get to work immediately, completing homework assignments for the classes I had planned on missing today? (I admit, not having the time to do the work before break or after I retured to campus at 10pm last night DID factor into my decision to email my professors.) Of course not!
So now I'm debating ... try to go to class anyway? Or just miss those 2 classes I had planned on missing and use the classtime to do the work?
I feel like such a slacker student. I've never skipped classes before ... not when I didn't have a legitimate excuse, like a conference or a mandatory performance/class/what-have-you for my degree program which ALWAYS takes precedence (their opionion) over anything else we do, even if it inconveniences their colleagues in the other departments in MySchool.
I think I will decide after I indulge in a lovely, LONG shower. I had calculated that I'd gotten maybe 6 hours of sleep in that 70-hour period (with the time changes... but I was really tired, so my calculations may have been off) ... but I didn't calculate how long it's been since I had taken a shower (not quite as long, but long enough that I feel gross). Oh, and Daylight Savings Time? MY calendar said that it wasn't until April 1st! (I figured out something was wrong when my cell phone and my alarm clock read two different times.) It's probably a good thing that it happened yesterday because it's one hour less difference to which my body has to adjust from Italy to here!
~*~*~*~
I do promise to write more interesting things about the trip ... and post pictures! It really was amazing!!!
Monday, March 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment