Sunday, March 18, 2007

Update to Future & Anxiety

So ... I met with Department Chair. I told him about the assistantship, what my job responsibilities would be, etc. He took a moment to look at the information I showed him, from my email correspondence with the program director.

"You know, Estrella, I think this would be a really great opportunity for you. And I think you'd be perfect for it," He paused and smiled before continuing, "But ~ I don't think you should do it."

I laughed at this contradiction and he made some of the same points my other professor had made- that this particular program isn't well-known enough that I would forge many valuable connections ... and ... that it's not really a springboard off of which I can propel towards a more advanced degree.

I asked, "Well, what if I thought about pursuing a second Master's degree? I mean, this one is a generic degree with emphasis in a certain field. How would it look if I were to go back in a few years, after getting this degree and some teaching experience, and work towards a second Master's degree which is more focused at a bigger-name school ... Basically, would it be considered [socially/professionally/academically, etc.] acceptable if I were to get the Master's I'd planned on getting from the type of school I would have expected to attend for an advanced degree?"

He said, "Well, if you were considering that, then I'd say, 'Go for it.' You have my support either way." He then asked how he ranked on the faculty feedback scale and I summarized what the others had told me. I feel very fortunate that I know I can fully trust my professors to give me solid (and good!) career advice, and that they're looking out for me! :-)
~*~*~*~

This evening, I received a phone call from the program director (PD). My plan was to call PD tomorrow because I hadn't had time on Friday, what with the minor medical procedure and all. I was VERY surprised to hear directly from PD on a Sunday evening. As in the email I'd been sent, PD asked about setting up an interview/visit. So we set up a day/time. Now I've got to prepare not only for an interview but also for a 3-part audition as well as a theory/history examination! 3 weeks from tomorrow. I need to call my voice teacher, but she has a young child and it's too late tonight. I need advice from my student-teaching co-op, but this weekend was a bit crazy at the school with the high school musical, so I'm going to email rather than call. I still don't know if this is what I want ... but ... PD dangled a huge carrot during our phone conversation. (International travel opportunity if I do the assistantship ~ oh my!!!) PD mentioned that there may be another potential candidate or two, but that the possibility that I could get the assistantship is very strong.
~*~*~*~

Other updates:
I still haven't heard back from either of the people (potential jobs!) to whom I sent my resume last Wednesday. CuteGuyFromChurch was NOT at church this morning! I was disappointed, but I'm feeling it'd be too stalkerish to email him through his job at his school ... so I'll just have to wait until next Sunday ... Time is so limited with this since I'll be graduating in less than 2 months! I'm debating on whether or not to email my private investigator and tell her that he wasn't there ... in case she has any ideas ... or if she might pass along his contact information (which I'm NOT going to ask for, but I'd consider using it if she shares it because it's acceptable to say, "So-and-so gave me your email ...") The more I consider this, the more I think I just might email my private investigator... but first, must email co-op regarding assistantship!

2 comments:

The Contessa said...

Wow what a wonderful opp for you! I do so hope that you get it!!! I feel that song from A Chorus line coming on with different words...

I hope she gets it...
I hope she get it...

Congrats on opp either way!

post-doc said...

I love that there's a plan for CuteGuyFromChurch. :) And I think continuing to gather facts about your options and talking to mentors is incredibly wise. I'm excited for you! It seems that regardless of what you decide, there are excellent opportunities waiting after graduation.