Monday, July 28, 2008

Singing for my supper

Last Friday, I sang for my supper.

A few months earlier, I received a call from the daughter of my mother's friend, asking if I would sing at her wedding. While inwardly hesitant- I had no idea where I'd be with the job search or where I could be living - I recognized the honor of the request and was thus obligated by my sense of manners to accept.

As a thank-you for agreeing to sing, I received an official invitation to the wedding and reception with "and Guest" after my name. Westley agreed to accompany me as my date, and I graciously accepted the invitation. After learning through the grapevine that the reception cost $125/head, I requested that my singing be considered my gift to the happy couple when the bride's mother asked me what they ought to pay me.

I don't think the family connection alone would have earned me an invitation, and with the reception as pricey as it was, my standard fee was paid in terms of the exceptional food and alcohol.

No comments: