Saturday, July 05, 2008

A Celebrity Encounter

A few years ago, when I was at AlmaMater, I had the opportunity to sit in a dress rehearsal of a fine orchestra for free, as part of an assignment for one of my courses. The guest conductor (one of the few prominent females in the profession) was fabulous ... and so was the young soloist.

We walked backstage as we left the performance hall, right past the performers. While making my way to the exit, I looked up, right into the eyes of the guest artist. We smiled shyly and I almost gave him (but didn't actually) a thumbs-up sign for playing so splendidly. Instead, we held that eye contact for a few moments, smiling, before I walked out of the backstage area. Almost eye-flirting (too lazy to link the entry here describing this art). :-)

I've seen his CDs in the stores, and I've just now discovered (thanks to a monthly promotional email from a favorite bookstore) that he has authored a memoir. At age 25. Isn't 25 a little young to write a memoir? Maybe not if you're Lang Lang.

No comments: