Thursday, April 03, 2008

There are places I'll remember all my life ...

... though some have changed. Some forever, not for better ... some have gone, and some remain.

Returning to CoolCity was refreshing and comforting. It had been nearly half a year since my last visit, and somehow it seemed as though much less time had passed. Things have changed, people have changed ... but it still felt like home.

A new building on AlmaMater's campus opened ... and it felt strange that I didn't even know the new location of my campus bookstore. Walking down the hallways of the Music School ... felt ... well ... more familiar than I expected, even though memories of my friends and my time there have already begun to fade.

It was good to see old friends ... On Saturday, I met up with an RA friend and another of our mutual friends. We haven't been too great at keeping in touch, but it seemed like hardly any time had passed since we'd seen each other in October. I suppose shopping at discount clothing stores and the mall brings people together. :)

On Sunday morning, I went to my former church. I'd really missed being there over Easter, because the worship experience is very special there. It was wonderful to see people there too ... and ... one of their upcoming anthems is one of my all-time favorite choral works. (This was the best of the few recordings I found on YouTube, but my favorite recording is by the Singing Sergeants, a professional military choir.) I've listened to many recordings, but I've never actually sung the piece. On Sunday, we sightread through it so that they're more prepared to work on it next week. *sigh of contentment*

After church, I met another CoolCity friend for lunch before joining up with my grad school colleagues. The rest of the trip went very well. I had CoolCity friends (from AlmaMater and elsewhere) in attendance at each of our concerts ... and it meant so much to me to have people there in the audience for me. My parents and friends have not been to a single concert at grad school this year, and it was incredibly meaningful for me to be able to share what I'm doing with people who've known me longer than just this year.

Westley's parents also came to a performance ... and then we went out to dinner afterwards. I was admittedly a bit nervous about meeting them, but my anxiety evaporated as soon as I met his mother. I was shy and didn't say very much, but he assured me later that she'd really liked me. :) (Apparently, she asked how soon I'd be coming to visit them at their home!)

Off now to go write a cover letter to pair with my resume for a possible job (!) and to write a thank you note to Westley's parents for treating us to dinner. I can't believe it's already April!

No comments: