Wednesday, April 09, 2008

I graduate next month

It didn't occur to me until yesterday that I had not received any information regarding commencement at all.

Apparently I was added to the mailing list, but I simply didn't receive anything.

If I hadn't caught it in time, I might not be walking. Granted, I don't really want to walk. At AlmaMater, it was different. I'd put in 4 years there, and I was graduating with my friends. Our Music School ceremony was lovely and intimate. Our dean read short biographical paragraphs of each of the graduates. (People applauded when he'd finished reading mine!)

Here, none of my other grad student friends will be graduating with me. I'm the first of the bunch. I suppose I'm going to the ceremony because it provides some closure to this year ... and ... it'll make my parents happy. Even though they're not the ones shelling out $50 for the special outfit I've got to get from the bookstore ... and I've paid for this entire degree with my savings. Which is pretty much dried up at this point. Eh. I might have to try to find a job this summer so that I can pay for choir tours and living expenses before I start a real job in the fall. Eh.

UPDATED: Aack! Re-reading this entry a few hours after I originally posted it, I realize I sound rather grumpy about this! I'm pleased, I'm excited ... but the whole reality of my upcoming graduation simply hasn't dawned on me. As I was telling my private teacher earlier today, I feel like I'm juggling everything, and if I don't focus on each new thing as it hurtles from the sky, all the balls will drop. I can only focus on the "now" ... and not next month ... if I want to maintain this balance. Regarding money matters ... well ... at least I'll qualify for a higher starting salary ... and this degree has been significantly cheaper than my undergraduate degree. I'll be paying off those loans for quite a while, and at least I didn't have to take out more loans for this degree!

No comments: